If you’re planning to visit the beautiful city of Istanbul, make sure you have enough time and days to explore the place as it has too much to offer. If you’re unlucky like myself who only had 3 days to stay, (I was only granted 3 days leave off work..sob!) make sure you plan your trip well, in a way you can stop by to all the cornerstones of the city.
Take note: 3-4 days are not enough!
As per our history books, Istanbul is the old city of Constantinople, the capital of the Byzantine and the Ottoman Empires. It is known before as the largest and the richest european city, ruled by Constantine the Great, to whom the city was named after. Another amazing fact about Istanbul, is the Bosphorus Strait, an inner waterway that links the Black Sea and the Sea of Marmara separating Europe and Asia.
10 Things to do in Istanbul: (If you have limited time)
- Visit the Hagia Sofia.
Fun Fact: If you’re a fan of the movie Taken 2 with Liam Neeson, this is where Liam and his wife got abducted by the terrorist group, they’re running from.
2. Visit the Blue Mosque.
Tip: Don’t wear clothes that are too revealing as they wont allow you inside unless you wrap yourself up with a sheet.
3. Visit and Shop at the Grand Bazaar. Why not?
4. Drop by at the Spice Market.
5. Visit Topkapi Palace.
6. Go on a Bosphorus Cruise. It’s worth it, I promise.
7. Take a walk to Taksim Square.
8. Try a turkish doner. You’ll love it!
8. Drink an Authentic Turkish Coffee. If coffee is not your thing, try a turkish ice cream!
9. Have a turkish meal. Dine with friends and get serenaded with turkish folk music.
(Forgive the video quality, I used my iPhone 5s, as our camera ran out of batteries)
10. Try as many turkish delicacies as you can. If you love alcohol, you should try the famous “raki” an unsweetened, alcoholic drink that is very popular in the country.
I know… I know.. There are tons that I’ve missed. Not to mention the Rainbow stairs, the Galata Bridge and Galata Tower, the Dolmabache Palace, Ortakoy, Kadikoy, Princess Island and a whole lot more. Still, my three day short vacation to Istanbul was well worth it. I would definitely visit this marvelous city again and this time I’ll make sure it’ll last a week or two.
Photo Credit: Benjamen Colegado (Jamcole Photography)